Let me put it to you this way, cars are parted out for having this problem.

Dan Weeks wrote:

Thanks, folks, for all the wisdom, and especially for the drawings showing the part. The indy did not call me back because he really doesn't want to do the job, I don't think. I went down to see him today, and he had not yet priced the part, tho he did at least know it was one piece and that the whole firewall had to be torn down. I told him my info said it was a 12.5 hr job by the book, but he said yeah, but on a 23 year old car, you never know what the condition of the parts you have to remove is, and they could complicate and add time to the repair. Fair enough. I said, look, it's only missing the last 3/4 inch of bar on the left side, can't you weld a new end on it? He said he'd try, but 1) didn't know whether it was possible and 2) wouldn't guarantee the job even if it was possible. I said fair enough, and plan to take the car into him tomorrow. Before I do: any thoughts on whether this fix is possible/advisable? I'm thinking this is easily a $1500 job if done by the book, and I'd like to avoid spending that much on a car that probably needs a new diff, too. Tho I may as the rest of the car is really quite nice indeed.

TIA.

--
Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
 89 560SEL, 87 300SDL, 87 300SDL, 85 380SE,