my strategy is simple.

i live alone. i keep the bedroom door locked. if you break in and i hear you in the living room, i'll call the police and wait. if you try to break the bedroom door down in the interim (can't imagine why you would, but if you did) you get shot through the door by a large calibre handgun.

it's a simple plan

if my kid is over, the guns stay locked up. it puts me at a large disadvantage, but i can't see having any sort of loaded weapon around a child.

i keep a .45 in the car and carry it into my office. our office park is secluded and has a history of crime, including violent crime. when i leave at night, i am almost always the last one in this area to leave, but i'm carrying the .45

i also have a .380 keltec that is so light i can wear it anywhere as easily as wearing a cellphone.

i think i've got it fairly well covered