Rolf,

BFG stopped making the R1 a few years ago.  It's now the G-Force
R-1.   Back then they were, IIRC, only tires made in a 14 inch race
tire....  That was what was stock on the W116 300SD......  At one
time I had 8 bundt cake 14" rims with various street and race tires.

More info is here:    http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/overview/g-force-
r1/3824.html

HTH,

Chuck