Turbojets gain horsepower with speed, since the compression ratio
goes up considerably from ram effect.  Getting on and off the ground
was a different story -- like the B-52 the B47 takes a LONG runway
(also true of the B-36, another seriously underpowered aircraft).
Low speed handing of all the contemporary aircraft was horrible, so
bad in fact that BOAC cancelled their order for the B-707 until the
tail was re-designed.  And you gotta slow down to drop bombs.

We built amazing numbers of aircraft back during the height of the
cold war, and actually used single purpose aircraft, too.  No one
wants to pay enough taxes to do that now.

And remember, the B-58 "Hustler" was even faster (I remember it
breaking windows everywhere locally making supersonic runs across the
central US), but no one ever figured out how to put a bomb in it....

Peter