That being said, and good advice too. Have EVERYTHING ready to go in and know EXACTLY where it all goes. Spec every last detail and shop it about so you get best prices. There is nothing as frustrating and homicide inducing as having to unbuild what you just put in because you came late with the engineering and products.

Had to redo structural because the engineering for the balcony came back as "can't be done". Builder figured out it could be canted and tore up everything he did for two weeks to make it happen. Then SWMBA chose her bathroom fixtures. Had to tear out the floors and walls to redo plumbing we put in a month before to accommodate that choice. Oak flooring came in two batches because she changed her mind on wool carpeting needed to be oak now. Found out, after installing 900sqft that the initial 700 were red and the other 800 were white. Oak burns REALLY hot and I still have enough after 8 years. Contractor ate that one.

clay

On Nov 23, 2008, at 4:43 PM, Scott Ritchey wrote:

The advice given to me for a similar project was: "get the divorce first ...
you can always get remarried again later if it works out."

Seriously, we did a major remodel on two houses while living in them. Check
out your builder AND his subs before you sign.  Check references and
suppliers too.

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] ]
On Behalf Of Jim Cathey
Sent: Sunday, November 23, 2008 19:29
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: [MBZ] OT: The West Wing

It looks like we might be pulling the trigger on a little
project I've wanted for a long time: an extension off the
side of our living room.  18x20', two-storey, vaulted
ceiling, deck, porch.  Two small bed/office rooms below.
French doors onto the deck, windows on both other sides.
Passage cut on one side of our existing fireplace.  Free
standing wood stove in the new addition, along with a
nice ceiling fan.  Styled to roughly match the rest of
the 70's house, but with Craftsman influences where we
can get away with them.  Just like the 6-car garage
addition, rule #1 is to make it look like it was always
there.  There are a few complications, the worst is that
we'll have to move the power feed to the house.  We'll
also have to cut down one of the two big blue spruces
in the yard.  (I plan to use the top for our Christmas
tree, it'll be the best-looking tree we've had by far.
[We get them off our property every year.])  The bid
is $97k.

Opinions?  The contractor is recently returned to the area,
he used to do chores for the previous owner.  His dad still
lives across the road.

My jokes to SWMBA about having room to park another car
under the deck didn't seem to go over very well.

We just transplanted the rose my deceased mother planted
by the entryway, and the never-happy blackberries she
also gave me that I've been hoping will grow.  They're
not the usual giant Washington car-eating blackberries,
these are smaller with a very good flavor.  Supposedly.
They've never fruited, never even grown in ten or so
years.  But they're not dead yet, either.  Unless I just
killed them.

-- Jim