Many thanks to Gary, Dan, Mitch, Allan, Jim, Ed, Peter, Clay, and Luther.
I tentatively planned to get a MacMini from MicroCenter and a MacBook or MacBook Pro for my grandson (I've got to check with him and see what size screen he wants); until I checked the specs on the MacMini and found that it apparently does not have an audio output. I use a headset for audio, so an audio output; ideally a headset jack; would be essential.
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0264433
So, it looks like I'm back to buying a MacBook for me and another for my grandson if he likes it after he has tried mine.

Looks like the MacBook has an audio-line-in and audio-line-out port but no headset jack. Don't know if a headset will work with the audio line out port with out an amp, though.

The new Dell monitor came with a DVI-D cable but it doesn't look like it's a DVI-mini plug which the MacBook requires. I suppose a standard DVI to DVI-Mini adapter would be all that's needed.

Gerry