There are other differences on the "new" MacBook Pro, but all that aside, I
believe part of Apple's reasoning behind dropping the "Pro" product line down a
notch was to try and get the old 12" G4 PowerBook users onboard.

The 12" G4 PB had a following second to none in the notebook world, and I still
know some people who are editing video on them in the field because of the size.

I don't get the SD card slot, and I suspect that will eventually disappear.
They also did the Mini Display port on the 13", as well as bumped it up to
FireWire 800, as opposed to 400. I think this is a not to video folks, too,
although the Mini Display port is proprietary and has "smart" functions to
prevent the viewing of media that's without DRM, I believe.  I know there was
an issue with it when it was first introduced last year, mainly because it
prevented the viewing of some content, and Apple never said anything about this
change until it was "discovered" by end users.

As for buying a used/refurb, do it from Apple.  The only difference between new
and a refurb is that the refurb will not have retail packaging - everything
else that is included with a new Mac will be there.  I have bought many refurbs
from Apple, and they are as new, as well as carry a full retail warranty and
are eligible for AppleCare (3 year warranty.)  As for AppleCare, I wouldn't buy
a notebook without it, and if you shop around you can find deals on it on eBay
and other places - you have the first year to buy it -- after the initial one
year warranty is up, no AppleCare.  It gives you dibs on the Genius Bar at the
Apple Store and unlimited phone support for three years, so it's money well
spent.

That being said, I have AppleCare on all my machines, and have never had to use
it, other than to replace a notebook battery that died after 100 cycles (They
consider anything under 300 cycles warranty for the most part.)

MacDan