On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 5:36 PM, LarryT <l02tur...@comcast.net> wrote:
> You wrote<<first responsibility is to its bondholders, its second to its
> shareholders,
> then (a distant third) to policyholders>>
>

> If *any* company wants to be of value to their shareholders (who are the
> owners of the company) the company must be receptive to their customers. IMO
> , it doesn't matter if they are for profit or not.   Actually the case could
> be made that a non-profit might treat customers worse.
>
> Capitalism *will* work, if the government do-gooders can stay out of it. The
> customer will drive the company toward excellence or they will go elsewhere.

I'm a staunch defender of the free market, and perfectly happy to let
it decide who gets what good and services, and at what prices, most of
the time.  It's a puzzle to me why a free-market approach to insurance
has produced such a broken system.  It seems like insurance is one of
the few businesses, perhaps the only, where profit is made explicitly
by *not* providing the customer the service for which he has
contracted and paid.  As you say, that should in theory put the
company out of business in the long term as word gets around that they
don't keep their word.  But it doesn't seem to.

Alex