From: "Mitch Haley" <m...@voyager.net>
Sent: Monday, October 12, 2009 7:30 AM
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Bore measurements on 140 SD

Loren Faeth wrote:

IMHO, you have a problem with a bent rod on #1. It is bent enough so that I predict a short life after the engine is running again , if you don't address the #1 rod at least. Seems to me what you describe is in the neighborhood of 0.010 inch or so, (maybe more) and that is a problem.

I concur. If five pistons stand proud of the block, and one piston is recessed, and you can detect that by feel, there's something wrong with that one cylinder. When you add to that the fact that the most worn cylinder is the same one with the short rod, and it's the cylinder that's famous for bending its rod, I'd say replace that rod and hope you caught it quick enough so that cylinder still seals ok. If one cylinder out of six makes 95% of the power of the others, the engine as a whole shouldn't run too badly.

Mitch.