Did you replace number one and number 6? Or just 1? Were your cylinders ovalled at all? How many miles were on the engine? Maybe I caught mine in time before it really trashed the bottom end.

dave walton wrote:
The replacement rod did not have tabs to allow easy weight adjustment.
It is significantly heaver than the original. I've since been told
that as long as #1 and #6 are balanced, it's okay if they are heaver
than the others. I'd want to very that somehow, but replacing the two
rods would save some grief. The dealer said if they did the job, they
would replace all the rods. I was not in the mood to spend $1k to
replace good parts at the time. But you could probably recoup some of
your investment selling the good old ones on eBay :-)

Once the rod was replaced, the piston extended above the block like
all the others.

Put some bar stock on the block across the cylinder opening. Use 2
magnetic bases. Mount the dial gauge between them on a crosspiece. Set
the gauge to zero on top of the bar in the middle. Highest reading
when the crank is rotated gives you a comparison number which relates
to connecting rod length.

-Dave Walton