I did R&R the pan in the 126 300SDL - in the car. It would not be possible
without removing the drag link and steering shock combo though. SInce mine
were crushed in the fall with the oil pan, they were coming out anyway. I
beleive that you could R&R the #1 rod, from what I remember, once the pan is
off.
OR - you could replace that block with the earlier 603, and use the head
from that engine, and not have to worry aboput it at all ----