you see failure on chinese parts that are claimed to be identical to the
original german part that was still handing on after 25 years.

a person well known to this list told me a story a few weeks ago.  his
company designs and markets stuff, but does not actually manufacture.
chinese firms are endlessly after their business, often putting in very low
bids (say, $3.75 for an item that they think they are getting a deal on at
$8 per unit)  however, when they go with the chinese producer, the product
is never "right."  the specs are shortcutted, ignored, cheated, etc and junk
is received.

the fact that you raise this question indicates you have never heard of
melamine.  the chinese process coal into melamine.  turns out that you can
use melamine to make food look as if it has a higher protein content than it
actually does.  so, suppose dog food company in the usa want to make a
certain formulation that is 24% protein.  as 10% protein kibble is cheaper
to make, the chinese prefer that, but the spec calls for 24%.  so what to
do?  spike it with melamine until it tests at 24%!

old crappy brand dog food is now essentially at best without adequate
nutritionally value and at worst containing a lethal dose of poisonous
melamine.  when the chinese go a bit overboard on this fraud, dogs and cats
start dying left and right.  but the US consumer really isn't troubled by it
as he would rather pay $9 for a 30lb bag of this crap than the $40 or so a
similar bag of quality kibble would cost.  even worse, they then add a few
dollars in propaganda and bribery and just plain appeal to greed to this
crap and have your vet sell it to you for $25 a bag.

i know a little bit about car parts and a little bit about dog food, and in
both areas that chinese are an absolute disgrace.  i suspect it is not
isolated to these two areas.