On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 11:29 PM, E M <pokieba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Any advise or thoughts for a really good cat food, both dry and wet ?

Hi Ed,

I don't know what you can get up in Canada, but down here in the USA
(I'm in Oregon) there are a few decent options.  The problem is the
same as Hursty described with dog food---finding a food that
replicates a cat's natural diet. If left to fend for themselves, cats
will eat almost exclusively whole small rodents, insects, and birds,
and get what they need in the way of carbohydrates and vitamins from
the contents of their prey's stomachs. So you want the highest protein
content you can find.

In order of preference I would buy:

Nutro Natural Choice - available here in Petco stores.  They have a
few different lines, I think---one for kittens, one for elderly cats,
and one for in-between.

Felidae - a little harder to find but VERY high quality.  (Made by the
same company that makes Canidae.)

Newman's Organic---the only one of these three that's routinely
available at supermarkets down here, and the ONLY brand sold at
supermarkets that I would feed a cat. I have two cats that I inherited
from the previous owners of my house (who didn't want to take them
along when they moved) which were fed before I got there on the
cheapest possible food.  After two years on Newman's they seem MUCH
healthier and happier---no skin or teeth problems, at the right
weight, lots of energy.  Anecdotal evidence, sure, but pretty
convincing to me.

It's best to feed both dry and wet cat food, if the cat will go for
it---dry food is good for their teeth and gums since it takes some
effort to crunch it up, and wet food gives them a lot of water, which
domesticated cats, for some reason, often won't drink enough of on
their own.

If you're going to switch them, do it gradually over a week at least
(by mixing incrementally more of the new food into the old)---sudden
changes in diet tend to provoke urinary tract infections in cats,
especially females.

Alex