For giggles, I just tried starting the 240D with -5F temps outside, and -15F
when I woke up this morning. The block heater has been plugged in non-stop
for at least the last week and the car was driven on Christmas day. .... 60
seconds preglow, cranked a while (did NOT crank until the battery died) and
no start. . . But hey ... it is OLD, only one year younger than my oldest kid!
At its age,
I don't expect miracles. It is a senior citizen and deserves to be treated
as such.

My old 123 (82 300D) would not start when the temp was below 10 degrees.  But,
it had over 400,000 miles.  I sold it to a friend who ended up replacing the
timing chain (there was significant stretch).  He said he would start below
zero after that.

I do really thing that frequent valve adjustments and checking the stretch on
the chain are the real secret to getting a 123 to start in any weather.

Donald H. Snook