Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 22:04:47 -0600
From: Wonko the Sane <don.b...@gmail.com>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] glowing in the cold

For giggles, I just tried starting the 240D with -5F temps outside, and -15F
when I woke up this morning. The block heater has been plugged in non-stop
for at least the last week and the car was driven on Christmas day. .... 60
seconds preglow, cranked a while (did NOT crank until the battery died) and
no start.

If I really had to drive it, I'd do several 60 seconds preglows and then go
for broke.

But hey ... it is OLD, only one year younger than my oldest kid! At its age,
I don't expect miracles. It is a senior citizen and deserves to be treated
as such.

That is why I drive a 300E in this sort of temps.