From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com
[mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com] On Behalf Of Wonko the Sane
Sent: Monday, January 04, 2010 11:05 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] glowing in the cold

For giggles, I just tried starting the 240D with -5F temps outside, and
-15F when I woke up this morning. The block heater has been plugged in
non-stop for at least the last week and the car was driven on Christmas
day. .... 60 seconds preglow, cranked a while (did NOT crank until the
battery died) and no start.

If I really had to drive it, I'd do several 60 seconds preglows and then
go for broke.

But hey ... it is OLD, only one year younger than my oldest kid! At its
age, I don't expect miracles. It is a senior citizen and deserves to be
treated as such.

That is why I drive a 300E in this sort of temps.

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 9:56 PM, Craig McCluskey
<diese...@pisquared.net>wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 16:46:32 -0800 (PST) Curt Raymond
> <curtlud...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Yup crank until you win or crash... I find that if I'm waiting for
> > the relay I'll never hear it ...
>
> Leave the door ajar so the interior light is on. When the glow plug
> relay drops out, the interior light will get noticably brighter.
>

> Craig

You are what you are now because you where then.