LWB250 wrote:

We have very sophisticated devices we use for testing and commissioning of
generators (as well as for troubleshooting) that measure power factor among
other values, but you're talking about several thousand dollars for something
like this:

http://www.tequipment.net/pdf/Fluke/435_datasheet.pdf

Have you ever run something like that alongside a Kill-A-Watt and compared the readings?

BTW, the transfer switch on the Generac seems to have cured itself. My last four simulated power failures have gone off without a hitch. Maybe the thing just needed exercise somehow? (the engine runs several minutes a week, but the transfer switch only trips during a power failure or simulation)

Mitch.