I had something similar happen; the car would go about 20 miles at interstate speeds then lose powe (30mph max) and then die. If it sat a while it was ok again, but it wasn't too happy right after the power loss bit.

My prefilterbwas black too. I had a spare in the glovebox, so I put it in. The blackened prefilter was so plugged it held enough vacuum that it would not empty of fuel even when both sides were opened to air!

--
John W Reames
jwrea...@comcast.net