Sounds like the kinda guy who might fix things as they come up.  It's old
enough, I would imagine a number of things have already been addressed on
it.  I think they're great looking cars too.  Years ago when I was in the
club, and guy sold a mint mint mint SL280 to buy a new E320 convertible at
the time.  I think a few here had some sportline option or something.  I
remember one guy had a coupe, which I think had a 23 valve head or
something, different suspension and seats, etc.  I think the standard M104
is a 16 valve engine ?

Anyway, if you really want it, keep bugging him, or reminding him you would
like first chance to buy it should he ever decide to sell.  I've got a few
cars that way.  For me, it's preferable to see something you really like,
and offer to buy it, than trying to sort through all the for sale junk out
there with the hope you'll find one you like.

Good luck.

Ed
300E