On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 9:07 AM, dave walton <walton.d...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The quick test once you have them out is to insert a blunt rod into
> the opening and see how far it goes until it hits bottom. The new ones
> went about half way and the old ones (bad) bottomed out.

And unless you can test used ones with this method, there is no point in
buying them---just go with new, if you're thinking about buying used ones
off fleaBay.  No seal is perfect, and the accumulators have a finite
lifespan as the nitrogen leaks out.  They cannot be recharged, at least not
by anyone in North America that I know of.   In Europe, where Citroens are
common and use a virtually identical system for their suspension, there
seems to be a thriving industry in recharging the spheres.  (There are also
French and British companies that will rebuild the hydraulic rams used on
Mercedes 6.9s and the four-wheel Hydramat W126s, which [the rams] are
outrageously expensive to buy new.)

Alex