Agreed.  I was putting on a tub spout (the stub was capped  from construction),
and had the fixture closed (but not the supply valves to the fitting).

About the time that I wondered WTF was going on, I heard a popping followed by
a wooshing as the 1/2" copper sweat cap flew off and whacked into my knee,
followed by some steam, and hot water that thankfully tapered to cold. After
the stars cleared, I shut off the supply valves and examined the cap; it was
noticeably dished.

Btw wouldn't heating the caliper red hot adversely affect any hardening that
had been done to the piston bores?

--
John W Reames
jwrea...@comcast.net