All statistics are suspect. Again, I recommend "How to lie with statistics" by Huff.
http://www.amazon.com/How-Lie-Statistics-Darrell-Huff/dp/0393310728
It is illustrated with cartoons, and illustrates the many ways statistics can be distorted.

All statistics stink because of that exact reason...

Walt