The average cost to keep a kid in school for 6-7 hours a day varies, but it is mostly 30-40k a year, about what it "costs" to house a prisoner full time.

We pay about $4500/year for our 3rd grader.  Private, there
are no subsidies whatsoever.  And these kids _learn_.  I remember
Kindergarten, we had blocks.  These kids are doing Venn diagrams...
Three teachers, 22 students, four grades.  They rent space in the
basement of a church.

You want to kill something, give a government a monopoly on it.

-- Jim