No offense taken, Walt.  And I agree with you wholeheartedly. In the late
90s-early 2000s there was a propensity to paint everyone with the same brush,
but as this occur in our culture, people tend to hear or read something and
apply it in a general manner, as opposed to properly analyzing the situation as
it applies to a single instance.

I still hear it among my peers in the educational environment - "That kid is
really ADHD."  Teachers are carefully cautioned *not* to make statements such
as this in general conversation, as they are not clinicians who can make a
diagnosis.

That being said, they do observe students in a contained environment for a long
period of time, so they are in a position to draw conclusions based on what
they see and experience.  More appropriately, it would be, "Sally has a very
difficult time staying on task and focusing."

Certainly a part of the ADHD diagnosis, but far from all encompassing.

I am very much against the generalization of such things, and being certified
in ESE (special education) and having worked with some very talented clinicians
who study such matters, I bristle any time I hear someone make such a
generalization.

There are a lot of approaches to behavioral issues besides pharmaceuticals.
Not all of them work, but they are only one part of many different pieces of
the "puzzle" that have to be fitted (if they do, indeed, fit) when treating
such an individual.

Dan