There was a recent article in out local paper here.  A former PM of ours,
drove an old Mercedes 300SL.  His son, while in school, purchased an old 300
SEL, which his friends called, the Staff car.  His Dad, the PM said it was a
silly purchase, as the running costs were very high, especially for a Uni
student.

Many years later, when he inherited his Dad's old SL, he said the SEL was
good training, for what it was going to cost to keep up and run a vintage
SL.  He keeps the car at a local MB dealer, after a full restoration and
ongoing proper servicing.  It comes out on special occasions.

Ed
300E