I wrote that CV joints in my experience last forever if the boot
is good, or words to that effect.  My experience is just that. I
have driven hundreds of thousands of miles in CV joint equipped
cars, mostly Volkswagens.  If the boots survive, so do the joints.

Good boot, holds grease in and gritters/water out yields happy CV
joint that becomes an auto part senior citizen.  That's my normal
expectation.

I do keep an eye on the boots and their grease retention.  On
Benzes (perhaps I should say "On the Benz", so I will) I have had
boots start to sling out grease with no visible indication of
trouble except the slung out grease under the car.  I replace the
boot(s) and repack the joints if that happens.

On VWs, the boots are somewhat different than on the Benz, and
highly visible. If a VW joint is losing grease, you can almost
always see why.

     A couple of people said that they have had CV joint failure
     without boot failure, that is, a joint or joints failed while
     packed in grease in intact boots.  At least I got that from
     what they wrote.  They didn't say about water or gritters.

I find that really strange.  Do others experience CV joint failure
without warning with intact boots, like the two seem to have
experienced?  Does VW have a joint/boot design that is much superior
to that on Benzes?  Why the difference?

Inquiring minds want to know.