Rich Thomas wrote:
They are going to push for that, and for the US (maybe Canadian too, wouldn't be surprised) taxpayer to pick up all their pension obligations too, whether by bankrupty or otherwise.

I've been saying that for a while. United Airlines proved that it works. Mark my words: GM will force the government to take over its pension obligations, either through negotiation or by declaring bankruptcy. Once they've done it, Ford and Chrysler will follow, because they won't be able to compete with GM without shedding their obligations as well.

It's the end of an era. Retirement is something my grandparents did; it's going to be out of reach for my generation. It's going to be really tough for people in fields like IT, where age discrimination is rampant.