this is why I plan ahead. I plan to have 2-3million saved on my own, NOT DEPENDING ON ANY COMPANY to help.

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 19:47:13 -0600, David Brodbeck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Rich Thomas wrote:
They are going to push for that, and for the US (maybe Canadian too,
wouldn't be surprised) taxpayer to pick up all their pension obligations
too, whether by bankrupty or otherwise.

I've been saying that for a while.  United Airlines proved that it
works.  Mark my words: GM will force the government to take over its
pension obligations, either through negotiation or by declaring
bankruptcy.  Once they've done it, Ford and Chrysler will follow,
because they won't be able to compete with GM without shedding their
obligations as well.

It's the end of an era.  Retirement is something my grandparents did;
it's going to be out of reach for my generation.  It's going to be
really tough for people in fields like IT, where age discrimination is
rampant.