This evening as I drove off in my 82 240D, I heard for the first time a
periodic clicking type sound coming from the instrument cluster. In checking,
I found that the trip odometer wasn't turning. I'm guessing some gear wheel is
not engaged properly with whatever it is supposed to turn. What is the action
to take to correct this?  Am I further damaging it by continuing to drive?
Should I disconnect the speedometer cable to avoid further damage? I cut short
my trip and went directly back home, so I don't know if this is affecting the
main odometer. Looking for a solution.  Thanks in advance.

Jerry
82 240D
Beginning to fall apart