Try pushing the trip to zero a few times. If this does not bring her back will have to remove and overhaul. Not a hard job. There are some DIY links on how to do it (I do not have them handy but have seen them) or you can send to Overseas Speedometer and for about $50-$70 hey can do it plus shipping.

Regards Tom Scordato
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jerry Herrman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, November 23, 2005 11:13 PM
Subject: [MBZ] odometer skipping

This evening as I drove off in my 82 240D, I heard for the first time a periodic clicking type sound coming from the instrument cluster. In checking, I found that the trip odometer wasn't turning. I'm guessing some gear wheel is not engaged properly with whatever it is supposed to turn. What is the action to take to correct this? Am I further damaging it by continuing to drive? Should I disconnect the speedometer cable to avoid further damage? I cut short my trip and went directly back home, so I don't know if this is affecting the main odometer. Looking for a solution. Thanks in advance.

Jerry
82 240D
Beginning to fall apart