David wrote:

> John Ervine wrote:
> > When I purchased my 280S back in August, I took the
> adventurous route.
> > I packed a large bag with about 50lbs of tools in it, threw a
> > combination lock on it so it couldn't easily be opened, and
> purchased a one-way ticket to DC.
>
> Unfortunately, travel by air with tools has gotten risky.  I
> used to know a guy who routinely did it for work.  He said
> that once the new security regulations were enacted and he
> had to stop locking his tool bag, he usually lost one tool
> per trip.  The most popular item for sticky-figured TSA
> personnel to take seemed to be his Leatherman.

In planning my trip to Raleigh to retrieve my W124, I considered all this. I
ended up carrying onboard my cellphone, a plug-in CB radio, my radar
detector, a 1-3 power splitter, some books on tape, my AA card and that's
it.

I thought about shipping some tools and stuff down to Raleigh via FedEx
Ground, but in the end, didn't bother. In my case, the only thing I needed
to make the 700 mile trip back to Boston was a $.29 ceramic fuse. Coulda
been worse...

If you are retrieving a remote car and you want to have tools, consider
FedEx Ground or even the Post Office flat rate box ($7.75 for as much as you
can stuff in it). FedEx Ground is pretty cheap.

Lee