On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 5:38 AM, Tim C <bb...@crone.us> wrote:

> Mine goes to a high RPM with no load, then drops back to normal once it
> makes it into gear.  I included that line because I realize that might be
> something completely different than what I thought it was called. :)

Sounds like a really ghastly case of flaring.  Normally you just get a
little "vrrr" as the engine revs up a little for an instant during
upshifts---that condition can often be cured by proper modulator
adjustment, a fluid change, and running a while with synthetic ATF.
But the best cure for what you're describing, Tim, is often one of
Rusty's rebuilt trannies installed by a competent shop (or on your
own, if you have the right equipment).

Alex