ahh the joys of driving a 240D, this brings back lots of memories. Almost makes me want another one so I can revisit my youth.

On 2/27/2012 10:07 AM, Randy Bennell wrote:
On 25/02/2012 10:21 PM, relng...@aol.com wrote:
....An automatic 240D (we had one) is very un-fun in the acceleration
department.  The words "dangerously slow" tend to come to mind.
One of the few cars I've ever driven that could not keep speed
up some of our highway hills in this State...

And my 77hp '78 300D could not climb eastbound Snoqualmie Pass at full
throttle without shifting down to 3rd which means 45mph in a 60 zone.

RLE

I would agree with you. Most of the time, one can compensate to some extent by pre-planning one's moves. Need to pass someone? - then drop back and approach at speed. If the way is clear, go around and if not, then slow back down and wait for another opportunity. It helps if one knows the road well and thus knows where the passing areas are.

However, there are spots where it is not possible to do that. Coming out of Kenora onto the westbound highway at the western edge of the bypass is one of those spots. One must come to a complete stop and then make a left turn at a T intersection onto the highway. It is an uphill grade for the next half mile or more. Not steep but enough to make it difficult to accererate up to 60 mph in any sort of reasonable period of time. Then there is the traffic approaching from behind at highway speeds including many big trucks. Cannot really be avoided unless one takes a totally different route through town and gets onto the bypass sooner, further east, but I normally don't think to do that because I only take the car out to the lake, maybe once each year. Always makes me somewhat nervous to do that turn however. Can get over onto the shoulder and let vehicles pass me if necessary but that is not the safest thing to do with the big trucks either as they cannot give you a whole lot of space if there is oncoming traffic as it is only a 2 lane highway.

Randy