On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 11:07 AM, Randy Bennell <rbenn...@bennell.ca> wrote:

> I would agree with you. Most of the time, one can compensate to some extent
> by pre-planning one's moves. Need to pass someone? -  then drop back and
> approach at speed. If the way is clear, go around and if not, then slow back
> down and wait for another opportunity. It helps if one knows the road well
> and thus knows where the passing areas are.

I've never driven a W123 240D, but my automatic '74 was quite decent;
I still use it as my benchmark for getting up one particular hill -
haven't optimized the 300D to match it yet.  It wasn't an amazing
accelerator but it wouldn't make you feel like you were slowing anyone
down, either.  It would ramp to 80 on the interstate without any
trouble, and as fast as "normal" cars that weren't flooring it.

Not sure if it was well-maintained or if I just got lucky, or if there
was some dramatic change between the '115s and the '123s, but it
certainly didn't resemble the crazy-slow 240Ds I read about here.

Best,
-Tim