Your drop back and charge approach is exactly how Sterling Moss described
how to properly overtake when passing, in his book on how to drive in a
safe sporting style.  Book was probably published in the 50s, as I recall
there was a chapter on bias ply tires.  hee hee.

Then there are times, when way to much power feels like just about the
right amount for the job at hand. ;-)  hee hee

Ed
300E