> Jerry Herrman wrote:

> At the bottom, I try to gain enough speed (about 75 mph) to
> take me over the top at 55 mph without having to downshift,
> meanwhile watching out for the Highway Patrol. I'm not
> always successful, but I do consider this sufficient power
> for my purposes. This also serves as my "Italian Tune-Up".

The engine cleaning is most effective with max power and max
RPM.  So what I would do with the same hill is slow down a bit
as approaching, downshift into 3rd as it gets steep and floor
it.  The goal being requiring maximum power at an RPM just
under where the governer starts to limit the fuel.

Not that doing it your way doesn't help, it's just the engine
is well short of the RPM limit. if you stay in 4th.

--    Philip