On Nov 25, 2012, at 8:44 PM, "Alex Chamberlain" <apchamberl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Where does the special tool, aka thermostat modified with shell casing,
> come into it?

With OM61x engines it doesn't. According to the TFM in PDF 20-015 page 1
heading A sub 2 "remove coolant thermostat (20-110)".

With OM60x engines it does. In the same number PDF for OM602 (w124) on page 1
under Coolant thermostat it says "remove and install forcibly-opened thermostat
part no. 000 589 74 63 00 (step 1)

I may be presumptuous, but I assume the engineers at MB know way more about
this stuff than I do. I included reference material, so no one thinks I pulled
these facts from thin air.

Rick
When in doubt RTFM.