WOW, What a trip!

1.  Our first leg was to Ohio for a family reunion, and thence to Chicago for
outlaw Thanksgiving (flew to Seattle and back).  Halfway to Ohio the new
monovalve developed a tiny tear causing no heat at cruise rpms.  I also
realized the Aux pump had failed, so we had multiple issues.  Rusty was able to
get a Saturday delivery of the affected parts, and everything worked perfectly
until driving in downtown Chicago on Sunday afternoon.  While at a stop light,
I noticed the temperature climb from it's normal 90 to about 115....at the
green, it returned to about 100 and then continued to fluctuate from 95-110.
Pulled over to check under the hood, and noticed that the NEW aux pump was
dripping coolant at idle from the joint between the motor and pump body, and
spraying it at high rpm's.  Nice!  After a few sentences of "NAVY" vocabulary,
I was able to get a phillips screwdriver on the 4 screws which hold the thing
together, and the leak stopped.  This was a MTC (?) replacement, and it was
only on the car for about 400 miles before it started to leak.  UNSAT.

2.  While on the subject of MTC, I have gone through 2 monovalve kits this year
from MTC, and each have had a VERY small tear in the diaphragm which renders
heat inop at cruise rpms.  During our drive to today from Buffalo to Maine, it
happened again!  ARGH!!!  No heat at cruise sucks.  I learned that I could go
max hot while at idle, and it would stay in hot, but the second that the valve
would try to cycle, it would stay cold.  I will bet that the NEW MTC monovalve
has a tiny tear like the others.....maybe it's time to drop the $135 for an
OEM???

3.  And of course...what would a major road trip be without a vacuum issue?
While I as in the autoparts store looking for the right coolant
(unsuccessfully), SWMBO unlocked the car from the pax side.  Nothing has worked
right since then:  must use the manual shutoff for the engine, no locks, cruise
control intermittent, weird climate control stuff (might be monovalve), and
definitely harder shifting.  The investigation starts tomorrow now that I am in
garage and not FMAO.

All of that being said, this is still the BEST automobile that I have ever
owned.  The only car that comes close in terms of driving is the '93 Northstar
Eldorado, and it isn't that close if you consider reliability.  My old Volvo
240's are up there in the reliability department, but then you

have to drive a Volvo..."Sorry daughter, I hope you are still enjoying the 245!"

....to be continued....