I pulled a 220D out of a snow drift a few years ago:
http://images.jaimekop.com/2005_02_20_220D_Ice/

I have no idea how long it sat there, but the seller happened to have a
good battery, so we threw it in and it started.  I figured if it started so
easily after being packed in ice, it was worth saving.  There was no real
rust on the car, but it had no brakes and no clutch hydraulics functioning.

I took it home, did my thing, found some scary stuff like this:
http://images.jaimekop.com/2005_02_28_220D/2005_02_28_220D-Pages/Image6.html

After getting it going, I drove it for a few months, then sold it to a
friend.  He drove it year or two, the sold it to someone else.  Last I
heard, it threw a rod.

Theres a lesson in here somewhere.... I always wonder if I did damage
trying to start it in the snow drift, or if it was on its way out all
along.

I do wish I still had that car, even if it needed an engine... it was fun
and pretty clean.  Worth more now than it was then.

Jaime

On Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 12:17 AM, Jim Cathey <j...@windwireless.net> wrote:

> The Frankenheap (115 200D) was pretty simple.  By the license
> plate on it I guessed it had been sitting for 10 years, and it
> was outside when I saw it.  I put a battery in it, and started
> it.  Ran perfectly.  Did have to do some work, such as connecting
> up a cooling system and an alternator, before it was drivable.
> The heater too, later.
>
> I do like a nice little diesel!
>
> -- Jim

Jaime Kopchinski