WILTON wrote:

The tragedy of the Vietnam War is exceeded by only slavery and the Civil War as this nation's greatest tragedy. Not only were thousands of fine, young Americans sacrificed needlessly, sent into harm's way by a government with no commitment to a resolution to the conflict, but the conflict divided the country like nothing else since the Civil War.

When I was of draft age, I registered for Selective Service, but with the intent to refuse if they followed the example set in Korea and Vietnam of drafting with no declaration of war. I would have just told the draft board to give me a call when/if Congress ever declared war, as I felt that conscription was entirely unjustified outside of war.

I've changed my mind since then. I now feel that conscription is slavery of the worst kind, and the 13th Amendment outlaws human slavery.

If the country isn't facing a genuine threat to its survival, it's got no business sending citizens to their deaths against their will. If the country is facing a genuine threat to its survival, it doesn't need conscription, it can fight the attackers with volunteers. If the country is facing a genuine threat to its survival and its citizens don't want to fight to defend it, then that country's culture is so sick that it doesn't deserve to survive.

Mitch.