Dan Penoff wrote:
My oldest brother was approaching draft age as the Vietnam war was winding
down, but my Dad, a hard core Nixon Republican, was adamant that none of us
would be drafted for this war.  In anticipation of the approaching draft he was
making arrangements to transfer to a division of GM that was based in Canada.
His stated rationale was that if we were in Canada then he would refuse to
allow us to register and we could stay there as conscientious objectors.

That's one way around it.

My sister took off with a draft dodger hippie guy in the early 70s who went to
the area around Revelstoke, BC (Selkirk Mountains) and lived in a commune.  I
went through the area back in the 90s and many of the people that bailed due to
the war are still there.  It's a weird place, like going back in time.
Beautiful country, though.

I must say I've got more respect for Cassius Clay "This police action is wrong, I'd rather go to jail than participate" than I have for the illegal aliens in Canada. (I don't have a lot of respect for the illegal aliens here either.)

Mitch.