On 09/09/2013 3:04 PM, Mitch Haley wrote:
Andrew Strasfogel wrote:
Thanks, Mitch.  I would rather avoid any of those"d'oh" moments.

Another serious "d'oh!" is when you flip a car on its side between the uprights. I once worked with a guy who did that with a sheriff's patrol car. Everybody in that shop (including the guy who lost the Caprice with the fancy lights) poked fun at me, but I never lost a car and don't think I ever could. I make sure every lift arm is located right where it should be to engage a lift point on the vehicle, then I lift until the suspension rises a couple inches and check again. If I don't like the way it looks after it gets some weight on it, I drop the arms to the floor and try again. Most mechanics kick the arms under the car, take a quick peek to make sure they're placed well, and punch the button until the car's at the desired height. I prefer treating the lift like it wants to kill me and is just waiting for me to drop my guard.

Mitch.

Yes, you don't want to damage the car by lifting where you should not either.

A friend who was a mechanic for part of his life told me a story about working in a shop where a vehicle started to tilt off of the hoist. He and another fellow jumped in and held it up while a 3rd fellow lowered the car. He siad it would have fallen onto his brother-in-law who was working under the hood of a car in the next bay, if he had not grabbed it.

Randy