Heres another reason to love your MB.

Last night I decided it was high time to change the oil in the Jetta. So I
jacked it up high and got a jack stand under it, then got under there and
removed the underbody belly pan thing. Got my drain pan in place and then had
to crawl back out to get a 19mm wrench. Who uses a 19mm bolt on an oil pan?
Got the oil draining and went after the filter, its a can filter (not a
canister filter like an MB uses, what are the self-contained ones called?) at
the front of the car pointing down and slightly rearward (its a weird
position). I can barely get my hands on it from above, from below its better
but still bad. Managed to get it unscrewed from below which I was worried about
and navigated down and out without pouring any on me. Its quite a large filter
and the one coming off was Mann. My replacement is Car Quest but I intend to
run a fairly short change as a "cleanout" before going to a longer duration.

I filled the new filter with oil (Car Quest 5w40 synthetic, again its a short
change, I'll pull a sample at 5,000 miles) and as I navigated it up into place
realized I shouldn't have filled it more than 3/4 full. Had to take it down and
wipe it off because I couldn't turn it with all the oil on it... There is a
special place in hell for the idiot that designed this system. The mk4 Jetta
has a canister filter which is a much better system.

While I was down there I figured I'd check the level in the transmission, it
was louder than I'd like. Thats also mildly annoying because of an AC line
right in the way, fortunately I had the HUGE (bigger than MB differential)
allen key needed. I stuck my finger in the hole and... nothing. Stuck my finger
farther in the hole, nothing. Wiggled it around some, OH! theres some oil.
Oooh, better do something about that.

Today is cut and weld day, I want to deal with the rust holes under the
driver's side. Before I do that I'll go find some GL4 fluid and get the trans
taken care of...

-Curt