My Mercedes Diesel (617.) is the easily easiest and cleanest oil change of
any vehicle I have ever owned, including yard equipment.  I use a topsider
which seems to remove more oil than the drain plug.

On a semi-related note, I have an Outback where you have to unscrew the oil
filter from under the car.  The filter is surrounded by exhaust pipes and
oil gets all over these pipes.  And then it really smells when they heat up.
I found that if I cut the bottom out of a plastic soda bottle which is
slightly bigger (in diameter) than the filter, It made a great way to catch
this stray oil.  I pass the socket extension through the mouth of the
inverted, bottomless bottle, snap an end-type filter wrench on the extension
and hold the bottle up against the block as I loosen the filter.  The bottle
acts as a funnel to guide spilled oil into the drip pan.