Curt Raymond wrote:
Seemed odd to me too but there are pages and pages dedicated to it over on tdi
club. I'm going to order some Amsoil Synchromesh after I consult the TDI guru
who is doing the timing belt next week. Synchromesh seems to be somewhere
between gear oil and ATF. The new VW stuff (G52? I forget) is apparently very
thin and people are unhappy with its warm weather characteristics. Some people
say 75w90 is fine in the cold and some say it isn't, even among people in cold
weather climates theres a spread.

Here's some more data:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=printthread&Board=16&main=38885&type=thread