Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2013 12:03:07 -0600
From: Randy Bennell <rbenn...@bennell.ca>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT: The glow plugs came on!

On 20/11/2013 11:41 AM, Curt Raymond wrote:
> It was about 20F this morning when I went out to start my commute, the
> coldest by far since I've owned the TDI.
>
> I find this car fascinating since its so different from my old MBs. Normally
> the glow plug light just blinks in a POTS (power on self test) and the glow
> plugs don't do anything. Today however the light was on for a good 20
> seconds. The car started just like an MB with just a touch of the key but it
> was interesting to see the light really on for the first time in just over
> 2,000 miles of driving.
>
> Another interesting part of this ('98 Jetta TDI) car is how long it takes to
> get heat. Right now it takes just about twice as long as my '84 190D. On the
> TDI boards they put this down to the efficiency of the engine. I think that a
> lot of the folks driving them baby the engines too, I tend to keep the RPMs
> up like I would on an MB although I've started to get into 4th and 5th a lot
> earlier than I used to. The torque from that little 1.9l really carries the
> car along well.
>
> -Curt

One of my neighbors accross the lane drives a Golf TDI. His solution was
to have seat heaters installed. He is a retired physics prof and he says
that it is understandable that the TDI does not heat well. He says we
are essentially converting one form of energy to another and that is why
the big old V8's created good heat - they were burning lots of fuel and
converting a lot of that energy to heat. The TDI is using very little
fuel and the result is poor heating capabilities.

Randy