I opted for the rebuilt unit.  Appeared identical.  It was challenging to
RR because the alternator is right against the frame rail.  The brushes
were very worn.  I did see a source of brushes online for $26.  I hadn't
yet seen Dans email about Ace hardware.  The engine seems quieter now.  I
think the alternator may have been the source of an intermittent startup
squeal.  I don't believe the belt was loose or needing adjustment.  Glad
it's done.