Once again, I am "king of grammatic confusion". I  meant not that I was from
the north of Germany, but the word Tchüss is  from the north, so I better NOT
use it in Bavaria.

  I'm not sure where my German side came from (Schappert, who married Grimms,
who married Bugles, etc). They came over in 1902.

  My wife's side (übersetzig) is from a little south of Köln...the region
around Badorf, including the small town of übersetzig (imagine that!  it's near
Dattenfeld). This is in Nordrhein-Westhphalen. Engelbert came  in the 1850's.

  McCann is a total anomaly, my father is McCann, his father is McCann  and his
father is ??????????????????. My grandfather took his name from  his mother.
Don't know if it was rape or messing around or what, who  knows...so Not only
am I barely Irish at all, it isn't even my "real"  name. Kind of annoying, but
I don't lose sleep over it.

  Chris (McCann - giving new meaning to the subject line of this e-mail!)

Werner Fehlauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  Chris - what part of 'North
Germany'?  My family hails from Hamburg and
Schleswig-Holstein.  But my wife has relatives in the South - not Bavarian,
but "Schwabian" country, which includes Stuttgart.  I find that South of
Frankfurt, it is usual when entering a business or even greeting someone to
start with "Gruss Göt", but I don't recall hearing that much North of
Hanover.  Regional dialects in Germany are as strong and varied, perhaps
even more so than we have here in the states.
But the more formal "high German" auf wiedersehn is often just shortened to
"jüs" as you get closer to the North Sea, especially among family and
friends.

Werner