I honeymooned in Southern Germany back in '97.  In the outskirts of
Munich, we visited a charming little town where an nice old man showed
us his homemade mechanical creations which each utilized the
hydropower of water flowing downhill in in his yard.  After viewing
and marvelling at his genius, I departed with a hearty "Tschuss!".  He
just looked at me, seeming to scowl with contempt.  I've assumed all
this time that I somehow failed to offer proper deference to his age
and status by using such an informal term.  Still don't know if I just
misinterpreted his response, or what.

On 1/12/06, Loren Faeth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> My daughter spent a year in Germany  in 99-00.  She used it then.  We
> visited her family in Bavaria (Bayruth) in 2002 and they all used the
> word.  I can't remember is the family in Aachen used it, but I think they did.
>
> I am afraid the [slang?] has even been put to use in Bavaria.  I wondered
> about the origin and use also.

Casey
Olympia, WA
Biodiesel: "I drive in a persistent vegetative state"
'87 300TD intercooler (211k)
'84 300D (207k)
Gashuffer:
'89 Vanagon Wolfsburg Edition (186K)