My daughter spent a year in Germany in 99-00. She used it then. We visited her family in Bavaria (Bayruth) in 2002 and they all used the word. I can't remember is the family in Aachen used it, but I think they did.

I am afraid the [slang?] has even been put to use in Bavaria. I wondered about the origin and use also.

Loren

At 06:33 PM 1/12/2006, you wrote:
I picked it up from a friend who studied German and my friend's fiance came back from Stuttgart and said it constantly...so I think it must have spread all over Germany now. Interesting to know the origin, though. Being from the north of Germany, I better not say it in Bavaria without first consulting my friend. They are pretty independent and take words from other parts of Germany (esp. Prussia) VERY seriously.

  Auf Wiedersehen (official)

  Chris

Werner Fehlauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Chris - was that "Tschuss" supposed to be the platdeutsch word for goodbye?
If so, It is usually pronounced more like "juice", with a hard "J", and
comes from the Northern German colloquial language called "plat", and
probably has its root in the French word "adieu".  You hear it all the time
when speaking with the "natives" from Holland over to East of Lubeck.
Just a bit of arcane language info....
Werner

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christopher McCann"
To: "Mercedes Discussion List"
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 4:07 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] I've got a long drive PLUS I need a name

  Tchuss,

  Chris

Christopher McCann, Squier Park, Kansas City, Missouri
-2005 Blue Point Siamese, "Rose"
-1987 300TD, 151K, "Rotkäppchen"
-1985 300SD, 210K, "Wulf"
-1976 240D, ?K, "AKP-Wagen" (Alternativen Kraftstoffs Prüfenlastwagen)
-1972 Jacobsen 21" Turbo Vent
-1971 Case 222 Hydrive, 12HP Kohler, 38" deck, Snowcaster, "One Banger"